General Carowinds discussion
I'm thinking some of ya'll don't know what a viral marketing campaign is. Why wouldn't they put it on the website? That wouldn't be viral marketing. They'd go to a pre-existing social network (Hey, like a FORUM) to put stuff out there.

Viral Marketing 101

And who says that the original poster isn't going to post more...when the time comes?

Heck, for all we know, the original poster could be an alias for someone who worked in the PR department.

I'm convinced that this is viral marketing. It's already shown up on a bunch of other coaster websites, and it was posted here originally, right? And it's even on Screamscape. That's the point of Viral Marketing, to throw a bone out there and then watch it spread, which it has.

This is the perfect place to start it, the only Carowinds community online.

Oh, yeah, and it's working...

And to those who say that they wouldn't start a viral marketing campaign for just enthusiasts, well, that's kind of the point of Viral Marketing. It's cheap, and they get free press to market it to the core community. Then, when bigger sites pick up on it, and then the media picks up on it, reporters looking for a blurb story for the local papers start contacting webmasters.

You ready, Jonathan? :D
b&mcoaster1095 wrote:Chunkyskunk works for RCDB right? I'm sure he knows something about coaster leaks...

Hey.....I do not work for Duane/RCBD, I just do and have done a lot of his geographical and some spotty photo research. Mainly when he was looking for the location of amusement parks around the world. I helped him back in 2006 and 2007 locate the exact spot for hundreds of parks around the world he had not yet listed the map or sat image link for since the exact location was not known. He will come to me sometimes when he hears of a new park somewhere and need to find the exact spot when he cannot find it himself. I also research for parks not yet listed on the database.

As for leaks and park rumor sources in new construction, I would guess Lance from Screamscapes would be more likely to know more about that. Lance does keep up with this blog often. He now lives in the Charlotte area so this is his home park. As for coaster leak info overall, you guys are way above what I know. I just sit back, read and enjoy the ride and the wait. As for my opinion, I am leaning toward this being a public relations hype stunt, whether it be the park or an individual just having some fun and wanting to create hype. I really have no clue.
Just throwing this out there, in 2008 B&M shipped 3 coasters in the US alone, meaning they were all manufactured in Ohio. They wont ship them before the park is ready and they wouldn't waste money on warehouses becuase the track can sit outside on any open land that they have.

As far a viral marketing go, did anyone follow the elaborate marketing Six Flags did for Bizarro last year? I read about it on screamscape, but it sounded like they created multiple fake websites just to hype a roller coaster. If I remember right, Farenheit had a fairly elaborate viral marketing campaign as well. I wouldn't put it past Carowinds to have a viral marketing campaign going on for the new coaster. Also, last year they did put out the giant crate of snakes to get people interested in the new coaster, however, you can't exactly put out a crate of lightning. I can't think of any public display of lightning that would allow people to guess the name without directly telling the public what it would be. Those are my thoughts on the possibility of it being viral marketing.

As far as the person who posted them, they pointed out that they have a lot more pictures that they may release. Why wouldn't you just post all of them in the first place unless you were building up hype? I wouldn't be surprised to see them post again on here after the official announcement other pictures showing off the new coaster.
Jstbcool wrote:As far a viral marketing go, did anyone follow the elaborate marketing Six Flags did for Bizarro last year? I read about it on screamscape, but it sounded like they created multiple fake websites just to hype a roller coaster. If I remember right, Farenheit had a fairly elaborate viral marketing campaign as well. I wouldn't put it past Carowinds to have a viral marketing campaign going on for the new coaster. Also, last year they did put out the giant crate of snakes to get people interested in the new coaster, however, you can't exactly put out a crate of lightning. I can't think of any public display of lightning that would allow people to guess the name without directly telling the public what it would be. Those are my thoughts on the possibility of it being viral marketing.

well, considering six flags new england/great adventure and hershey park are part of two different park chains other than Cedar Fair, you can't really factor in what they did to what carowinds is doing. Cedar Fair has a whole different view on things than the other park chains and probably aren't going to copy somebody else's viral marketing strategy. though it may be similar, it's not really a valid comparisson.

Chunkyskunk wrote:I just sit back, read and enjoy the ride and the wait.

i've found that this is the best way to keep your sanity around here :lol:
just gonna kick back and watch what happens
I am by no means saying that Carowinds will do the same kind of viral marketing that six flags or hershey did. I am just saying that viral marketing has been succesful for roller coasters at other parks in other chains, so it wouldn't surprise me if cedar fair allowed carowinds to try some sort of viral marketing.
I email screamscape also the picture, because I like to give info to him and for screamscape and so and he emailed back where did you get that picture and I said carowinds connection and he said that the said photo had been sent in earlier that morning than the one on here and he told them not to post it anywhere else. I think its viral marketing plus how could someone take a straight photo with a phone. I mean look at the letters perfectly straight.
If this coaster's track is from the plant in Ohio, this doesn't make sense to me. Why name a red coaster White Lightning? Especially when the name was already used on a ride that is about as different from a hyper as you can get? I don't think this is a viral marketing campaign, but I guess we won't find out until the coaster is announced. Plus, I don't think we need to bring the name White Lightning back. That's my two cents.