General Carowinds discussion
By uscbandfan
I wonder if the "popularity" of Nighthawk isn't skewed by the lack of capacity. I think if it wasn't SO SLOW loading trains, there wouldn't be that two hour line.

I guess if Nighthawk wasn't there and there wasn't a two-hour line, all of those people would be looking to get in other lines and make the lines on the rides the I want to ride longer. That's a silver lining.

My personal opinion... I couldn't care less what happens with Nighthawk and Vortex. I don't ride 'em. If Carowinds wants to keep 'em, then fine. If they want to replace them with something I want to ride... even better.
By Glitch99
uscbandfan wrote:I wonder if the "popularity" of Nighthawk isn't skewed by the lack of capacity. I think if it wasn't SO SLOW loading trains, there wouldn't be that two hour line.

Additional capacity would only increase it's popularity - no one walks away because the line is moving quicker.

Popularity isn't based on the length of the queue line, it's based on the number of people who ride it.
By tarheel1231
With Kings Island's Vortex getting removed, it seems that the other Arrows' days might be numbered. If that turns out to be true, here's what I think you could do with Cyclone's plot of land:

Pulsar from Walibi Belgium

A Mack PowerSplash is about 500 feet long, so if you removed the Win Zone in Thrill Zone and squeezed the other half behind Chickie's and Pete's, you could fit it. The station is on the left side, but if you moved it to the other side, it would be closer the Boathouse/Boatworks. Then you could use that building as an entrance/queue.

Thoughts?

By coasterbruh
Thoughts . . . I would like the splash area where you have it on your map. I think they can custom design one to be shorter. I personally feel a 30m version will do the same thing, aesthetically, which in turn could lessen the footprint for it to not impose so much into thrill zone. I would shift the coaster as much to the left as I could, moving the station to the right side. This would free up a good bit of land inside the park. I would move frenzoid to this area where sweet frog is and build another eatery with it and something else in it behind chickies. I would also limit the water to the splash down area and have it going under a walkway to have a water feature in front of frenzoid.
By sccoasterbear
coasterbruh wrote:Thoughts . . . I would like the splash area where you have it on your map. I think they can custom design one to be shorter. I personally feel a 30m version will do the same thing, aesthetically, which in turn could lessen the footprint for it to not impose so much into thrill zone. I would shift the coaster as much to the left as I could, moving the station to the right side. This would free up a good bit of land inside the park. I would move frenzoid to this area where sweet frog is and build another eatery with it and something else in it behind chickies. I would also limit the water to the splash down area and have it going under a walkway to have a water feature in front of frenzoid.

I totally agree and since it is the Boardwalk area it would be perfect. It also would take care of water in the park and I would love Frenzoid to be ove water.
By tarheel1231
coasterbruh wrote:Thoughts . . . I would like the splash area where you have it on your map. I think they can custom design one to be shorter. I personally feel a 30m version will do the same thing, aesthetically, which in turn could lessen the footprint for it to not impose so much into thrill zone. I would shift the coaster as much to the left as I could, moving the station to the right side. This would free up a good bit of land inside the park. I would move frenzoid to this area where sweet frog is and build another eatery with it and something else in it behind chickies. I would also limit the water to the splash down area and have it going under a walkway to have a water feature in front of frenzoid.

I agree that a smaller version would be better, since a standard 40m version would cost ~$10 million (Pulsar was €8.5 million in 2016, which was around $9.2 million in USD), and that’s not even including shipping costs. I think moving Frenzoid to this section is ingenious. I’d also move Peanuts Pirates to the grassy area by Ricochet.

As far as colors go, light blue track and sand-yellow supports (think Hangtime) would work as far as beach placemaking is concerned. The name I had in mind was “Riptide Run”.
By coasterbruh
How ironic, I was thinking peanuts pirates would work better over there too! Even a med size Ferris wheel. I think Riptide alone is more badass lol
By tarheel1231
With yesterday's Screamscape rumor, I figured "why not?" and drew this:

What I had in mind was a GCI that used some of Rapids' old course, diving underground through tunnels and through the canyons. I didn't have a theme in mind, but as far as the ride experience goes, I think something like Mystic Timbers + Ravine Flyer II would make an excellent combination (though the latter is from Gravity Group).

[EDIT] (Very) rough sketch of how it would look from the midway:

By gabed
I'm sold.

Obviously the next coaster is at the very least two years away. But, if their gonna demolish Rapids and since that's the only heavily wooded area in the park left, it'd be a waste not to use that plot for a coaster at some point.
By coasterbruh
Honestly, if the park can get a wooden coaster remotely close to ghost rider then I'll be please. They don't make them like that anymore.
By tarheel1231
As awesome as Ghostrider looks, I feel like something lower to the ground would be a better use of the land. Rapids’ plot is one of the only places in the park that varied terrain, not to mention it’s densely wooded.

What I want is a combination of all these coasters:

-Renegade
-Mystic Timbers
-Texas Stingray
-Raven
-Legend
-Ravine Flyer II

With that being said, I haven’t ridden any of the coasters on this list (closest thing I have to compare is Thunderhead), but essentially, I want a low-to-the-ground coaster with a lot of laterals, tunnels, and double/triple downs.
By BelowThePeak
Out of the 50 credits I have, Mystic Timbers is actually my #2. When I rode it last year, the airtime was incredible and never let up, but it wasn't violent airtime like you'd see on other coasters like Twisted Timbers, for example. Having a coaster like MT at Carowinds would be a dream come true for me, and I think the Rapids plot would be a great location for it.
By coasterbruh
tarheel1231 wrote:As awesome as Ghostrider looks, I feel like something lower to the ground would be a better use of the land. Rapids’ plot is one of the only places in the park that varied terrain, not to mention it’s densely wooded.
With that being said, I haven’t ridden any of the coasters on this list (closest thing I have to compare is Thunderhead), but essentially, I want a low-to-the-ground coaster with a lot of laterals, tunnels, and double/triple downs.

I don't think you know (or it could be me) that Carowinds is relatively flat. I don't see any areas where the terrain could support a double down or anything using the terrain. the terrain probably has the difference of 15 or so feet? I personally think if you were to ride ghostrider, you would be shocked as it has airtime, laterals and lots of speed, all at 118ft. Again, this is my personal perference but having a tunnel for a tunnels sake is blah. The beast tunnels are cool, the voyage tunnels are cool, the phoenix tunnel is cool. SO basically, I would wish for a tradition out and back coaster before anything GCI makes.