General Carowinds discussion
I remember Carowinds' atmosphere being MUCH more interesting than it is now. The Sternwheeler, The Railroad, The Monorail, SkyBuckets, The Jalopies.....There was so much to do besides coasters. My wife and I went to the Season Pass Preview yesterday. My wife doesn't like Roller-coasters. There REALLY isn't too much to do unless you like Roller-Coasters. It is a bit disappointing. I would love for CF to, as others have suggested in other topics, ramp up the theming and other activities. Again, we aren't expecting Disney or Universal(although that would be terrific) but something more than the status quo would be nice.

That being said.
I am SO psyched that Carowinds is getting some great attention.
I think Cedar Point has suffered neglect do to the fact that they now own so many other parks. When it was just cedar point and valleyfair they thrived. I grew up about 30 min from cedar point and all memories of gemini iron dragon Avalanche run demon drop and the antique cars. I could go on and on. I was 8 when they built magnum and I l still remember being in awe when I first saw it and rode it.
What is it that has made Cedar Point a 'roller coaster mecca'? They were first to exceed 200', 300', and 400'. If the situation were different, I would think it highly unlikely Cedar Fair would invest in another strata, but the marketing potential for a giga and strata in quick succession would be enormous. If their intentions are as stated the sky is the limit. It would be equally exciting to see something smaller and maybe even more innovative for the next coaster, but probably not as attractive from an advertising perspective nor as much of an international draw.

What I anticipate this statement by Cedar Fair truly means is higher than average investment over the next few years and focus on filling any holes in overall ride lineup (hopefully addressing some of the concerns you all have brought up about needing more rides the whole family can do together), a strong likelihood of an on-site hotel, and another very noteworthy coaster in 2-3 years. I may be wrong of course, but I'll be damned if it's not an exciting time for Carowinds!
its one thinto have a bunch of coasters, its another to have a bunch of unique coasters. I think, currently, carowinds has 5 cloned coasters...not including those coasters that were the first then cloned. I would like to see the park continue of the path of uniqueness akin dollywood (I know...oxymoronic to say be unique then follow up with a "like") by adding first and oy style coasters. We better pray mack, b&m or guerstuler can make a high capacity launched coaster. I think that's the only way youlll see one at carowinds...
coasterbruh wrote:its one thinto have a bunch of coasters, its another to have a bunch of unique coasters. I think, currently, carowinds has 5 cloned coasters...not including those coasters that were the first then cloned.

Agreed. But I think its a little deeper than that. Nighthawk is a clone, but how many Flying Dutchman (or Flying Coasters in General) are out there? Sure Technically Thunder Road is a Clone....but.......Its still an icon. Carolina Cobra probably made sense from a business standpoint on paper, but I bet you a Wicked Twister type shuttle would have been better than a Boomerang. Hurler.....bleh.....
Ricochet - fun for what it is.

So looking at the list, I would only see Hurler and Carolina Cobra as knocks against originality.
(wait...those are the 5 clones right?)
1) Flying Ace
2) Woodstock Express
3) Hurler
4) Ricochet
5) Carolina Cobra

Thunder Road could be considered a clone but it is actually larger than the it's sisters and Racer is slightly different. Oh and Cyclone has copy of it in Europe but I think it was built by Vekoma. So Carowinds could have up to seven clones.
Carowinds has one of the best top 3's in Cedar Fair (Fury325, Afterburn, Intimidator), so we've got a great start already. I think the coaster collection behind it kind of goes against the 'Thrill Capital of the Southeast' title. I do envy SFOG and Dollywood because they have better rounded coaster collections.
^Biebs tells us to never say never, but this will literally never happen. It would be removed/replaced far sooner. I could see a rehab and maybe sit down trains. A floorless conversion like happened to Mantis has proven more extensive than just new trains and would be hard to justify. I honestly think Cedar Fair should sell its 2 Vortex stand-ups and replace them.
Edwardo wrote:Carowinds has 14 rollercoasters. Tied with KI & KD. The only parks with more are CP & CW at 17, and SFMM at 19.

So, really, Carowinds is already a roller coaster mecca compared to every other park in the world, save for the 3 ahead of it and 2 tied with it. Its among the top 6 parks in the world as far as coaster count. So, anything they add is going to add to that status.

As for the wording, I take that as marketing. Of course the park is going to get more coasters. That's a given. And while nothing is out of the question ultimately, I'll tell y'all why you probably won't see a strata coaster at Carowinds (or for that matter, many other parks) any time soon.

Strata coasters, thus far (there are 3) have been launched coasters that are either shuttle launches, or barely more than that. Could someone design something more? Sure. But it would be very expensive. Yes, they're building a 500' coaster around a tower in Orlando, but that's a multimillion dollar complex, and not very worth it for many, if any, parks to build it that way. They're basically building a sky scraper with a coaster attached.

I don't see Carowinds getting a 400' traditional lift coaster for a couple reasons. It would be expensive. It would be even larger than Fury. And while the park has a lot of land, I don't see them building a coaster longer than Fury for a while.

Granted, I felt the same after they built intimidator, but Strata coasters, especially after just getting a Giga, probably aren't going to be such a huge return on investment. They're not going to be building an Intamin any time soon.

What I see? Hopefully a new signature wooden coaster. A new launched coaster. And hopefully something different.

They have height and speed. Cedar Point quit building bigger at one point and built different. That's what I see for Carowinds.

I disagree respectfully. We need more height and speed.
So I've noticed that many people don't see Vortex as an icon like they see Thunder Road. As I was walking through the park yesterday I saw a man and his two kids. He was explaining to them how Vortex used to be the best ride in the park. I know..."Used to be". Of course as we know now there are bigger and better things at Carowinds.

But if we take a look at Vortex's history it was a coaster milestone for its time and I think it should definitely be considered as an icon. It was built in 1992 at a time where it was B&M's 3rd rollercoaster and there was only 1 other ride like this in the United States and it was located on the west coast. It was the first of its kind on the East and it offered a totally different ride experience. So I think instead of saying that Vortex should be converted or renovated, I feel that it is a park icon and Cedar Fair and Carowinds should leave it like it is until it's time has OFFICIALLY run out!
TheCoasterMan1 wrote:ook at Vortex's history it was a coaster milestone for its time and I think it should definitely be considered as an icon. It was built in 1992 at a time where it was B&M's 3rd rollercoaster and there was only 1 other ride like this in the United States and it was located on the west coast. It was the first of its kind on the East and it offered a totally different ride experience. So I think instead of saying that Vortex should be converted or renovated, I feel that it is a park icon and Cedar Fair and Carowinds should leave it like it is until it's time has OFFICIALLY run out!

Trust me...the people at the park knows and understand your logic...that's probably why it wont be going any time soon... :thumbup: