General Carowinds discussion
A realistic cost per space that’s accepted industry wide (and the webmaster of this site has chimed in on this before, and he works in urban planning, so if you want to argue with him, be my guest) is about $20-30000 per spot. I used your info.

Having said that, according to accepted industry estimates that would mean a 1500 space parking building would be $30mill.

We’ve had this discussion here before. It’s been discussed before on other boards.

In 2000, Disneyland built a parking garage for about 10,000 cars. It cost $90million.

Cedar Fair couldn’t justify that in any scenario. And that’s 2000 dollars. Today that would be over $134million.

And spending $8mill for a parking structure of that size, or any size would be fiducially irresponsible. Do you know how many flats you could get with that? Especially since there is plenty of room to expand a parking lot without building a parking deck that is much higher maintenance than a simple lot.
Did you mis-read it, or did you intentionally ignore the part where I said the only point was to show that it clearly does not dwarf the cost of the roller coasters and it is not beyond Cedar Fair's financial capabilities? I even flat out said I think it'd be an unnecessary waste no matter how much it actually cost.
A parking garage that would have enough spaces to be realistic for a theme park to build in order to make room to use part of the lot for expansion costing $30mill dwarfs a coaster...

And Cedar Fair could spend $100mill on one coaster like Disney, but that would be idiotic.

So what’s your point?
Then why did you? I was responding and actually agreeing with what you had said for the most part. But you always take anything as an affront and have to attempt to correct people and make accusations of lack of understanding.
Edwardo wrote:A realistic cost per space that’s accepted industry wide (and the webmaster of this site has chimed in on this before, and he works in urban planning, so if you want to argue with him, be my guest) is about $20-30000 per spot. I used your info.

Having said that, according to accepted industry estimates that would mean a 1500 space parking building would be $30mill.

We’ve had this discussion here before. It’s been discussed before on other boards.

In 2000, Disneyland built a parking garage for about 10,000 cars. It cost $90million.

Cedar Fair couldn’t justify that in any scenario. And that’s 2000 dollars. Today that would be over $134million.

And spending $8mill for a parking structure of that size, or any size would be fiducially irresponsible. Do you know how many flats you could get with that? Especially since there is plenty of room to expand a parking lot without building a parking deck that is much higher maintenance than a simple lot.

Pretty sure a parking deck of that size could be built for a lot less here, considering it doesn't have to be designed to account for earthquakes.
Y’all are still missing the point that it is completely unnecessary. Name one regional amusement park with a parking garage. Carowinds doesn’t get the crowds to justify building one, and they’re not running out of space.
tarheel1231 wrote:Y’all are still missing the point that it is completely unnecessary. Name one regional amusement park with a parking garage. Carowinds doesn’t get the crowds to justify building one, and they’re not running out of space.

Myrtle Beach Pavilion had one and it outlived the park.

I remember MB Pavilion directing guest traffic to the parking deck.
JWitter wrote:Pretty sure a parking deck of that size could be built for a lot less here, considering it doesn't have to be designed to account for earthquakes.

You’re taking one small example and not acknowledging the overall subject. Yes Disney’s was likely more expensive. But that doesn’t negate the fact that the low end cost of a parking deck is $20,000 per space. $8mill would buy 400 spaces.

Regardless of what you’re pretty sure of, it’s an outrageous cost that doesn’t in any scenario make sense for a regional park.
sorashaun wrote:Carowinds is already the largest Cedar Fair park by total acreage, there really is no need for anymore land.

In what regard exactly? Carowinds has developed 299 acres out of 400 according to Cedar Fair. Kings Island & Cedar point both have developed more acreage (326 & 536 respectively), undeveloped acreage Kings Dominion, Kings Island, Michigans Adventure & Cedar Point all have more undeveloped land. Finally when it comes to total combined acerage Cedar Point has 684 total acres, Kings Island has 677 & Kings Dominion has 737 total acres.
Last edited by HiveDive on September 6th, 2019, 7:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HiveDive wrote:
sorashaun wrote:Carowinds is already the largest Cedar Fair park by total acreage, there really is no need for anymore land.

In what regard exactly? Carowinds has developed 299 acres out of 400 according to Cedar Fair (Numbers a tad bit outdated as they're from 2015). Kings Island & Cedar point both have developed more acreage (326 & 536 respectively), undeveloped acreage Kings Dominion, Kings Island, Michigans Adventure & Cedar Point all have more undeveloped land. Finally when it comes to total combined acerage Cedar Point has 684 total acres, Kings Island has 677 & Kings Dominion has 737 total acres.

Not even Cedar Fair believes these numbers.
sorashaun wrote:
HiveDive wrote:

In what regard exactly? Carowinds has developed 299 acres out of 400 according to Cedar Fair (Numbers a tad bit outdated as they're from 2015). Kings Island & Cedar point both have developed more acreage (326 & 536 respectively), undeveloped acreage Kings Dominion, Kings Island, Michigans Adventure & Cedar Point all have more undeveloped land. Finally when it comes to total combined acerage Cedar Point has 684 total acres, Kings Island has 677 & Kings Dominion has 737 total acres.

Not even Cedar Fair believes these numbers.

Cedar Fair doesn’t believe the numbers from their 2018 investor slideshow? I get I mistakenly said they were from 2015 when they were in fact from 2018, the point still stands that your initial statement was inaccurate.