General Carowinds discussion
By swampfox43
Tim Fisher, will be leaving his position as the executive vice president and general manager of Paramount’s Carowinds, according to Viacom. While this may mean diddly squat to some people here, it could have major implications on the future of Carowinds, depending on who will replace him. Fisher's controversial new policy raised some eyebrows last summer when he implemented the new policy that park employees could not stay in the park after their shift. His stern position on other various issues have also caused several internal conflicts within Paramount's Carowinds which included the firing of more than 50 long term employees.
Fisher's new position will have reporting responsibility for the operations of the company’s domestic and international theme parks, as well as Paramount Parks’ resale, creative and production divisions. So, we have something to keep us curious during the off-season.
By coasterdude89
Hopefully, somebody better and nicer, from what I've heard about him, will replace him!!!!!!
By coasterbruh
If I ruled the world.....

I say make jeff from PKI VP and if I really had it my way (which I dont, yet.....) I would pull someone from the universal parks chain and make them to be the GM.
By MarkD
I am actually glad to hear that. Old school bossing is gone. Of course some people are put in places as head hunters. I was in that position for 10 years with Food Lion at Myrtle Beach before I realized how stupid it was.

Does anyone here have the "tier" of commend for Paramount? I mean does each park act as it's own entity and answer to just one person or is there another form of chain of command?
By thewinds
Ah yes, black Monday as it’s called… the day after the season ends, when management gets shuffled, hopefully it won’t be as dramatic as last year.

Mr. Bob White has been named the senior VP and general manager of Carowinds.

On a sad note, former GM, and one of the few remaining life-ling Carowinds management members (since the park opened its doors in '73), Mr. Watt Burris lost his battle with cancer a few weeks ago. He was a great GM who was never afraid to get his hands dirty. He encouraged his full time staff to see their responsibilities no different than seasonals. Despite of being the General Manager, you never saw him in the park without his broom and bucket, right along side the seasonals. –A sight you’ll never see today.

And swampfox43, thanks for bringing up this post. “While this may mean diddly squat to some people here, it could have major implications on the future of Carowinds.” You’re absolutely right. People underestimate the effects of these changes- they do have a direct implication on how OUR park operates.
By montumax
Any info on Mr. White (ie: where's he from, etc.)?
By Dukeis#1
thewinds wrote:

On a sad note, former GM, and one of the few remaining life-ling Carowinds management members (since the park opened its doors in '73), Mr. Watt Burris lost his battle with cancer a few weeks ago. He was a great GM who was never afraid to get his hands dirty. He encouraged his full time staff to see their responsibilities no different than seasonals. Despite of being the General Manager, you never saw him in the park without his broom and bucket, right along side the seasonals. –A sight you’ll never see today.

I am very sad to hear this. I think he was probably the greatest GM that the park has had, as Carowinds really excelled to great heights in the late 90s under his watch.

I think the short Tim Fisher era has had mixed reviews.
By swampfox43
Watt was indeed one of the nicest men I had ever met. It's such an untimely death at only age 59. During an interview for RC Magazine some 5+ years ago, he gave my friend Scott a beautiful 3'x4' oil painting of Thunder Road done sometime in the late 70's. How generous can one man be? He will certainly be missed.

You can read his obituary in the Charlotte Observer here:

<a href='http://www.legacy.com/charlotte/LegacySubPage2.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonId=2750864' target='_blank'>http://www.legacy.com/charlotte/LegacySubP...ersonId=2750864</a>

You need to be registered, but it's free to do so.
By extreme
A little history on Fisher

<a href='http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/041109/nytu145_1.html' target='_blank'>http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/041109/nytu145_1.html</a>
By Maverick
montumax wrote: Any info on Mr. White (ie: where's he from, etc.)?

Bob White will be coming to Paramount's Carowinds from Paramount's Great America, just like their flying coaster. :P Either way, Mr. White served as the VP of Marketing there, as well as Paramount's Kings Island. He has done a great job with those two parks and Carowinds is very fortunate to be receiving him. In fact, Bob White is a native of NC and began his career in the industry at Paramount's Carowinds as a ride operator. So, luckily he does know the park!
By swampfox43
Isn't it ironic how so many GM's got their start here at Carowinds? Bartlett, Sutton, Burris, Fisher, White.....

I think the original GM, Gene Patrick started at Astroworld....Duke, you may know if this is correct.

anymore?

Off subject, I read somewhere recently that Barbara Mandrell use to work at Carowinds before she made it big.....
YEEHAA
By coasterbruh
Maverick wrote: Bob White will be coming to Paramount's Carowinds from Paramount's Great America, just like their flying coaster. :P

Well Looking at the state of PGA and the chain of events im kinda leary about this move......But time will tell. :unsure:
By MarkD
Maverick wrote:
montumax wrote: Any info on Mr. White (ie:  where's he from, etc.)?

Bob White will be coming to Paramount's Carowinds from Paramount's Great America, just like their flying coaster. :P Either way, Mr. White served as the VP of Marketing there, as well as Paramount's Kings Island. He has done a great job with those two parks and Carowinds is very fortunate to be receiving him. In fact, Bob White is a native of NC and began his career in the industry at Paramount's Carowinds as a ride operator. So, luckily he does know the park!

One of the ladies I work with kind of "grew up" with Fisher and White at Carowinds some years ago.

Pam told me the Fisher was all about the job and was very straight forward about it. She said he kind of leaned to the strict side of things but was not a bad guy but rather a business man. She also told me he did alot of International things also.

I mentioned Bob White to her and she said he follows Fisher around and Mr. Fisher calls him his proffesional confidant. Pam told me if he comes to Carowinds more people will like him over Mr. Fisher.

She says she keeps in touch with them but since I know neither of them I'll take her word as she has never givin me a reason to doubt what she says.

I just want to get Carowinds up to date on all aspects of the industry and hope with Mr. White coming we can look forward to a few good years.
By Dukeis#1
swampfox43 wrote: Off subject, I read somewhere recently that Barbara Mandrell use to work at Carowinds before she made it big.....
YEEHAA

Interestingly, I think Patty Loveless also worked at Carowinds for a few seasons before she made it big.

I'm sure there are more stars that got started at the park. Where is that "CMT" guy?
By swampfox43
Foreseer wrote: Does anyone here have the "tier" of commend for Paramount? I mean does each park act as it's own entity and answer to just one person or is there another form of chain of command?

Well, Al Weber is the president of Paramount Parks. He makes all the major decisions usually in conjunction with Russ Flatt (construction & maint.) and D&E.