General Carowinds discussion
By tarheel1231
^^The Christian Rock/Gospel concerts still seem to be big draws for the park, so I can't see the Paladium going. But RRR I feel could be shortened to KBF Bigfoot Rapids-size and open up a new midway back there. RRR takes up about four acres, why use it exclusively for an attraction that can only be operated four months out of the year?

^You're not new to this forum, right? :P
By sorashaun
RRR isn’t going anywhere or being modified. There is still acres and acres of undeveloped land behind Hurler/Fury, Dinosaurs Alive, around Carolina Harbor, and near the Wilderness campground.
By RollerBee
tarheel1231 wrote:^^The Christian Rock/Gospel concerts still seem to be big draws for the park, so I can't see the Paladium going. But RRR I feel could be shortened to KBF Bigfoot Rapids-size and open up a new midway back there. RRR takes up about four acres, why use it exclusively for an attraction that can only be operated four months out of the year?

^You're not new to this forum, right? :P

If Carowinds were to build a larger, more modern Ampitheater they could attract more acts and get more use out of a newer facility.

I would argue that having it closer to and connected to their new hotel be more of a benefit than having it next to the park.
By Chris
coasterbruh wrote:And that article that states the park is running low on space grossly misquoted Steve. The park is not running low on space at all.

This.
By Cameron
The palladium can go. If universal can pull of a more successful Christian concert series in that small space so can carowinds. Build something the size of what universal has and you open up a massive area.

Something to think about in the future. It wouldn't be needed for a good 10-15 years

I just don't like it honestly. It's way too big and a huge eyesore.
By RiDeWaRrIoR
I think it would be much more beneficial to build a new venue, but my guess is, it will never leave. I think if it was going to leave it would have left back when Fury was built, but they built right around it... I guess they use it a lot more than we think. They should put the pumpkin fest back in that area. They did use it for the JDRF walk too, so that was good, even thought it was just the back part they didnt use the stage or seating or anything. Just think if they did a sports complex, they could add in a new paladium and free up even more real estate.
By sorashaun
RiDeWaRrIoR wrote:I think it would be much more beneficial to build a new venue, but my guess is, it will never leave. I think if it was going to leave it would have left back when Fury was built, but they built right around it... I guess they use it a lot more than we think. They should put the pumpkin fest back in that area. They did use it for the JDRF walk too, so that was good, even thought it was just the back part they didnt use the stage or seating or anything. Just think if they did a sports complex, they could add in a new paladium and free up even more real estate.

Considering plans for the sports complex already leaked and the Paladium was untouched, I think it’s safe to say nothing is going to cause it’s removal.
By Capler
Parks exited the concert hosting business because it has always been a money losing proposition for them. Also, back in the day when the amusement park was the only option for outdoor concerts, promotors had do deal with all the park's demands. Carowinds concert business was effectively killed when the Charlotte venue opened some 25 year or so ago. Those Christian concerts could be profitable enough to justify keeping the Palladium in place. The acts are cheap, and the park is filled with guest.
By sccoasterbear
Capler wrote:Parks exited the concert hosting business because it has always been a money losing proposition for them. Also, back in the day when the amusement park was the only option for outdoor concerts, promotors had do deal with all the park's demands. Carowinds concert business was effectively killed when the Charlotte venue opened some 25 year or so ago. Those Christian concerts could be profitable enough to justify keeping the Palladium in place. The acts are cheap, and the park is filled with guest.

In the 80’s and 90’s there were times the park would have to close their gates due to maximum capacity on concert days. So to say they lost money would be hard for me to understand. I do agree the opening of the venue opening in Charlotte was the downward turn for the Paladium though.
By Chris
sccoasterbear wrote:
Capler wrote:In the 80’s and 90’s there were times the park would have to close their gates due to maximum capacity on concert days. So to say they lost money would be hard for me to understand.

You seem to think that Carowinds can continue to attract big acts to the facility. Let me assure you, that is not the case.
The big acts are going to go to the PNC Music Pavilion (formerly Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre), where they can sell an extra 6,000 tickets.
The biggest acts will go to Charlotte Coliseum, where they can sell an extra 10,000 tickets.
The smaller acts will go to Bojangles' Coliseum where it seats 5,000 less, but offers an indoor coliseum.
The Paladium has a very small demographic that would actually rent out the facility (like the Christian bands).

Not to mention, it likely costs the concert goers more to attend a show there since the cost of admission is figured into ticket prices. Extremely hard to sell artists on the facilities.
By Cameron
I honestly wouldn't care if it stayed but the uncovered seating can go.

Only so they can finish that circle at the entrance. That bothers me so much lol
Attachments
By Cameron
This would look nice with it not being removed.

Remove seats, Make lawn seating, Complete the entrance circle lol and make a 3rd walkway to enter the palladium.
Attachments
By uscbandfan
demolition = expensive

This is reason why the Carolina Coliseum is still standing in Columbia. It will cost SO much more to demolish it than to just keep it up and do renovations.
If Carowinds were busting at the seems, I could see them demolishing the Paladium. Since they're not, I doubt they're just looking for ways to spend money. (Another reason why they wont be ripping out seats to haul in dirt and construction equipment just to finish a circle. If so, they would have done that when they did the front gate.) They probably make more than enough off of the Christian Music Festival to pay for the yearly maintenance. If so, then I don't see it going anywhere.

Know this... I'm SURE that the front office has a long range plan for the area whether it includes the Paladium or not. I'm also sure that plan is very fluid and changes year to year.
By coasterbruh
The Coliseum is standing because classes are held there and it is still used a lot (graduation etc . . .). Not because it will cost too much to demolish. USC is a powerhouse and if they really wanted it gone, it would have been gone. Money is not an issue.
By super7
The warehouses on the Frontier Outpost side of the park have creeped up very close. There is little left of the wooded berm between them and the park.

It is a shame that the park doesn't have more acreage. It has really allowed Charlotte to encroach and takes away from the overall feeling of the park.

Where is Thunder Road 2 going to be able to be built someday (wishing)?

That's one reason I LOVE Kings Dominion. Still surrounded by a huge wooded berm, away from most of reality. Plus a majority of the park is very shaded during the hot VA summer. You can't even really see I-95 from the tower. Just a truck stop, a burger king and a few hotels across from the park, and a few factories off in the distance. Its wonderful.