General Carowinds discussion
hikernut79 wrote:
dirkdiggler1992 wrote:Y’all thinking open for Winterfest?
I'm hoping this was tongue in cheek.

Let's hope so.

Remember how many test runs each train had to make on Fury? That lasted a good long while. The circuit may be complete before December (not sure about that either) but remember all of the electronics and sensors that have to be added along with the brakes and the launches not to even get started on theming.

Then all of that has to be tested over and over again making adjustments. Then comes the trains having to make 1000 runs or so. Don't forget the water dummies. No, I will say ZERO chance ready for Winterfest. They're probably shooting for opening day in March with several weeks built in as "snow days".
Don't know if its been discussed on here before, but is anybody else intrigued at why the transfer track needs 12 concrete monoliths to support it? Are these trains heavier than Fury? I would think not but I cannot for the life of me figure out what could possibly need that much support on a coaster. Not even the shell of a barn like train shed would need that much support.
KIJester wrote:Don't know if its been discussed on here before, but is anybody else intrigued at why the transfer track needs 12 concrete monoliths to support it? Are these trains heavier than Fury? I would think not but I cannot for the life of me figure out what could possibly need that much support on a coaster. Not even the shell of a barn like train shed would need that much support.

Yeah, I mentioned it before. Very curious. Someone suggested maybe theming but that's a lot of weight and support capability to just be theming.

I've never seen a "through the loop" built. You think they'll build the bottom of the loop then wait until the pass-thru track is put in before construction the top of the loop? Or will they just "thread the needle" when they get around to that portion. This track design is wound up pretty tight to go all track pieces in order.
phareous wrote:It looked to me like those concrete columns were part of the station and the building near it... the transfer track was further back. Hard for me to tell though based on the limited drawings and muddy video on the carowinds site

Well, on the video, the train begins to roll immediately after leaving the station. That leads me to believe that the loading platform is the straight track before the roll. That would put the transfer track back there with the concrete columns. The transfer track wont be supported the same way because the track is not stagnant and needs to be able to move. So, maybe the guide-way for the transfer track will be mounted on the concrete columns. Hard to tell from that distance though.
Ok now that i look again I do think those pillars are under the maintenance shed

If you look here:

https://www.carowinds.com/blog/2018/chs-ride-overview

First picture (overhead), that building above the 2. If you look at picture 4 and 6 there it looks like that building has a whitish first floor and wood second floor... so most likely that bottom is some kind of block/stone/concrete and these pillars may be the piers/supports that will have non-load bearing masonry added between them
uscbandfan wrote:
phareous wrote: So, maybe the guide-way for the transfer track will be mounted on the concrete columns. Hard to tell from that distance though.

:thumbup:
While we’re all waiting for Copperhead Strike to open, I’m happy to say that you’ll be able to ride a relatively accurate, virtual version in Planet Coaster very soon! I updated the ride to include the transfer building, changed the track to the Typhoon model (and changed the train type to Invincible), and I finished the barn. I just have to add a few supports and some queue theming and it will be complete.

Pictures:

:clap: Tarheel nice work!

I do think the pillars might be part of both the station building and the storage shed somehow, agree with it being part of the walls somehow and the "track" that the transfer slides on will be one top of the pillars. You can now see where they have dug and cleared for where the storage shed will be. They have gotten a lot done in just a few days launch is done and supports for the loop has been started. I am assuming they will do 3/4 of the loop and then do the piece that goes through it, and then complete it, hopefully it will be done Friday. I will be at the park Friday morning to get some pictures and videos and again Friday night for Scarowinds :D
Looks like they've finished the brake run and the supports for the first half of the first loop.

Anyways, now that the website's back up, I can update y'all on the project:

It's pretty much done, I'm gonna upload to the workshop tomorrow afternoon.

Day POV:

Night POV:

[EDIT] Workshop Link
Last edited by tarheel1231 on October 5th, 2018, 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Most of us probably realize this but WAY BACK in the thread we were talking about the exit and it going over the launch and down the outside of the launch barn.

One thing that's got to be in there is access to the exit from INSIDE the barn. Think about it.... if the launch fails or if there is a rollback, the train would need to have evacuation capabilities from the launch. The drawing shows the evacuation platform extending the length of the launch.

That said, I don't see an evacuation platform at the second launch. What it it fails? I guess depending on how it failed, there's no telling where the train would valley unless they have a rollback brake somewhere. I'm guessing they have some sort of plan for evacuation. Maybe a simple drive-able lift-boom to evacuate two at a time... because anywhere it valleys is gonna be VERY close to the ground.
Great shots Hiveminded! I was at the park too earlier :D Here are a few more to add to the collection :)

I also talked to a construction worker from Mosely and he said they were not putting up any track today and the loop will be completed once the track arrives, its not all here yet.