General Carowinds discussion
By Glitch99
You aren't alone. If building the rapids ride from scratch, the only reason to put it where it is rather than in the water park is so that more people will pay to use that big blow dryer when they get off it. Wet rides are nice for those hot summer days, but are completely unnecessary when there is a full water park attached to the park.

On the other hand, the water park could use an attraction that doesn't require changing into full swimwear.
By coasterbruh
Cameron wrote:I'm probably in the minority here but I think water rides outside the water park are a waste of space.

Water parks require bathing suits. I wouldn't compare a water ride to water slides as they are two totally different things. Besides, the water park isn't open all season.
By Glitch99
coasterbruh wrote:Besides, the water park isn't open all season.

Neither is Rip Roarin Rapids.

And there is no requirement that you change into a bathing suit when entering the water park. You could float down the lazy river in jeans and a hoodie if you so desired. Which is kind of the point of this tangent, sometimes after riding RRR you feel like you've done just that.
Last edited by Glitch99 on January 16th, 2019, 6:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
By yawetag
Glitch99 wrote:On the other hand, the water park could use an attraction that doesn't require changing into full swimwear.

I don't think the water park needs a non-swimwear attraction - keep that whole area swimwear-only. And RRR is, and I don't know how to accurately describe this, too big (meaty? large? not-slidelike?) to be a water park ride anyway.

While I would be sad to see RRR gone, I wouldn't be heartbroken. I don't expect them to rebuild a new wet ride apart from the water park, but if they did, putting it closer to the water park would be ideal. Shared resources (water lines, locker rooms) would better fit there.

It would be nice to see a massive upgrade to it to open for CF's 150th in 2020. Ultimately, if this isn't a refurb, I wouldn't count on any sort of replacement anywhere in the park anytime soon.
By Cameron
Yeah but if I'm gonna ride something that gets me soaked or half soaked I definitely want to change. Nobody likes walking around soaking wet in street clothes. At least I don't anyway.

Plus you don't need a bathing suit to go stand under that water fountain in the waterpark.
By Glitch99
yawetag wrote:
Glitch99 wrote:On the other hand, the water park could use an attraction that doesn't require changing into full swimwear.

I don't think the water park needs a non-swimwear attraction - keep that whole area swimwear-only.

Thing is, you can wear street clothes in the water park, you can't wear swimwear in the dry park. By not requiring full swimwear, I mean something that doesnt involve being submerged in a pool of water. Not that RRR could handle more demand as it sits anyways, but any sort of wet ride is going to be more popular if swimwear is an option.

The only reason RRR is where it is, is because a water park wasn't even being dreamt about when it was built.
Last edited by Glitch99 on January 16th, 2019, 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By RollerBee
Cameron wrote:Yeah but if I'm gonna ride something that gets me soaked or half soaked I definitely want to change. Nobody likes walking around soaking wet in street clothes. At least I don't anyway.

Plus you don't need a bathing suit to go stand under that water fountain in the waterpark.

I can do that at home or stand out in the rain if I just want to go play in a fountain....

And while I am bashing the waterpark, I can swim in a pool at home without having to deal with thousands of people.

In my opinion the waterpark is good for two things, the slides and soak up visitors from the dry park.
By Christopher Mallis
RRR is a better convenience to people in the dry park who don’t have bathing suits or don’t want to change. Sure the lines gets to an hour or so, but that’s because of the bad operating system. All they need is a round loading platform to make dispatches quicker. If Carowinds is going to remove rapids and then the Dino’s plot is gonna be removed at the end of the season, they have two big plots to put something in. If you ask me I say just give rapids a refurb (not like Knott’s) and Just make the losing system better. The plot of land where Dino’s is should be closed at the end of this season and they can expand a bit out into the parking lot if they need too. Yes I understand that rapids only operates for 15 weeks, but all that it truly needs is some refurbishments.
By carolinaman
I asked John Taylor today about RRR if it was a refurb or what and he did confirm it was off the ride list but said no announcements on that. So he wouldn't say whats going on with it.
By jeffdavis
Thread hijack alert: Assuming RRR is retired and/or the dry park needs more than one wet ride: How about a family log flume ride for Blue Ridge Junction with access from the "swimsuit zone" so it is a dry park ride that people can ride in 'street clothes' or swimsuits with the convenience of the nearby waterpark lockers and changing rooms? Pretty easy to theme a log flume to the area.
By coasterbruh
I don't think any park lets you ride mechanical water rides in swimwear. I cannot think of one.
By yawetag
coasterbruh wrote:I don't think any park lets you ride mechanical water rides in swimwear. I cannot think of one.

In St. Louis, I would take a swimsuit and change into it and flip-flops for the mechanical water rides (rapids and flume). After the rides, we'd all change into dry clothes for the rest of the day. Now, I kept a shirt on and didn't exactly flaunt the fact I had a swimsuit on (it was obvious that it was one, though).

And, even if it were a rule, I don't always expect operators to notice or care, especially on those rides.
By jeffdavis
Jarvis, I seem to remember walking out of the Carowinds waterpark (pre-Carolina Harbor probably) to White Water Falls and riding it. I know I didn't change over to dry clothes. What I specifically wore and what the rules were at that time are a bit fuzzy to me so maybe someone else remembers what was allowed.
By Glitch99
coasterbruh wrote:I don't think any park lets you ride mechanical water rides in swimwear. I cannot think of one.

I dont think any park lets you wear just a swimsuit anywhere in the park, period. Thus why waterparks are always isolated from the rest of the park. There's no reason a mechanical water ride couldnt be "on the other side of the fence" and thus permit swimwear.
By Glitch99
yawetag wrote:In St. Louis, I would take a swimsuit and change into it and flip-flops for the mechanical water rides (rapids and flume). After the rides, we'd all change into dry clothes for the rest of the day. Now, I kept a shirt on and didn't exactly flaunt the fact I had a swimsuit on (it was obvious that it was one, though).

And, even if it were a rule, I don't always expect operators to notice or care, especially on those rides.

"No swimwear" typically translates to "must be fully clothed". In practical terms, a lot of swimwear is no different than walking around in your underwear. It isnt really a bias against the basic concept of swimwear.