General Carowinds discussion
By Glitch99
Coasterphreak wrote:
uscbandfan wrote:Only memorable long waits I can remember were for Rocochet (why doesn't that line faster?)

Because IIRC that station is designed to be able to load/unload two vehicles at once, but the park rarely staffs enough operators to run it at full capacity so once the line backs up it tends to stay that way regardless of how (not) crowded the rest of the park is.

But even then, it's not like cars are stacking behind the station waiting to be unloaded. Unless they have more cars that could run on track at the same time, loading 2 at once isnt going to increase the thoroughput any since the cars are going to return to the station at the same pace regardless.
By yawetag
Glitch99 wrote:But even then, it's not like cars are stacking behind the station waiting to be unloaded. Unless they have more cars that could run on track at the same time, loading 2 at once isnt going to increase the thoroughput any since the cars are going to return to the station at the same pace regardless.

It allows you to stack the boarding and send the second car out once the first is past the lift hill. Either way, the thing only gets about 700/hour (20 seconds per car, 4 people per car). It's not a queue eater, which it why the queue is shorter than most of the other rides.
By Glitch99
yawetag wrote:
Glitch99 wrote:But even then, it's not like cars are stacking behind the station waiting to be unloaded. Unless they have more cars that could run on track at the same time, loading 2 at once isnt going to increase the thoroughput any since the cars are going to return to the station at the same pace regardless.

It allows you to stack the boarding and send the second car out once the first is past the lift hill. Either way, the thing only gets about 700/hour (20 seconds per car, 4 people per car). It's not a queue eater, which it why the queue is shorter than most of the other rides.

Right. But capacity is limited to how long it takes for a car to go station to station, no matter how quickly you're pumping out dispatches. At least when I've ridden, there's almost no wait at the end unless there are slow riders loading - which will cause a delay no matter what. So they're clocking through the cars pretty much as fast as they return to the station already, meaning the only opportunity to increase capacity is to add more seats.
By yawetag
True, but if your cars have to be 20 seconds apart from each other and you're sending them out every 40 seconds, you're cutting the capacity in half. By allowing two-car boarding, you're turning it into a 30-second average (40 seconds to load and send the first car, then the second just waiting the 20 seconds).
By Glitch99
For some reason they were double loading Boo Blasters today. I've never seen that much waiting on that ride, that had absolutely nothing to do with the queue line.

Of course the glaring problem was they were trying to load 2 cars at a time, while only unloading one car at a time (since the "station" only holds 3 cars at a time), so it's not a parallel to the Ricochet comments. But it was ridiculous.
yawetag wrote:They've double-loaded Boo Blasters a lot this year, at least with my experience.

Only certain crews do that. I’ve been on it a few times this year. I guess it just depends how many people are working and who it is.
By uscbandfan
I think for rides like Boo Blasters, it should be a continuous loading platform with a conveyor. Unless you have a disability, it makes things so much easier.

Of course, at Carowinds the conveyor would probably always be broken down like 90% of the targets on the ride.
By coasterbruh
Rides need a loading platform longer than 12 ft or so for a conveyor belt system.
By yawetag
sorashaun wrote:The app was also showing CS closed although it ran all day minus a few test trains during some technical issues.

CS was showing a 5-minute wait around 2pm - we were in line for about 45 minutes.
By Kineticmind
The red digital sign from the bottom of the entrance sign on Carowinds Blvd has since been removed by a blue and white sign that simply says “where the Carolinas come together”. I saw it today when driving past, but wasn’t quick enough to get a picture.