General Carowinds discussion
By Capler
RollerBee wrote:I am going to try and fix this statement for you:

“If too many problems happen at the park, many families of any kind will stop going because they feel unsafe.”

However I would love to see African American culture highlighted but how would you tie that to the Carolinas?

Two things here. African American culture is Carolina culture, why should it be shoehorned in like it is something totally different? Just because some people are unfamiliar with it, does not mean it does not exist.

Your first statement is subjective. It largely becomes a problem based on who is involved and who is looking. A group of white kids fighting at the park, at school, or at the mall may be seen as a small disruption, 'teens will be teens'. But when kids of color do it, it is a riot, a gang war, and people start throwing the term thug around like there is no tomorrow.
By Coasterphreak
I think the primary reason Scarowinds isn't a separately ticketed event is because it helps drive season pass sales (and thus visitor frequency) from parts of the market that are >1 hour away from the park. Somebody that has to drive a couple hours to visit is usually only going to buy a day ticket and visit once a year. However, they're more likely to buy a season pass and visit more than once when they can come back and see Scarowinds, and then come back again and see Winterfest.
By uscbandfan
Coasterphreak wrote:I think the primary reason Scarowinds isn't a separately ticketed event is because it helps drive season pass sales (and thus visitor frequency) from parts of the market that are >1 hour away from the park. Somebody that has to drive a couple hours to visit is usually only going to buy a day ticket and visit once a year. However, they're more likely to buy a season pass and visit more than once when they can come back and see Scarowinds, and then come back again and see Winterfest.

I, in large part, fall into that category.
By Christopher Mallis
Anybody saying SCarowinds should be taken off of your season pass...that literally takes away from the “come and go like you own the place” slogan. They aren’t going to take it off your pass.
By Glitch99
Christopher Mallis wrote:Anybody saying SCarowinds should be taken off of your season pass...that literally takes away from the “come and go like you own the place” slogan. They aren’t going to take it off your pass.

Them locking the gates at night literally takes away from the "come and go like you own the place" slogan, too. Obviously, they mean during regular hours of operation. And in october, the Park's posted hours of operation end at 5PM.
By Edwardo
The thing is, SCarowinds is already a separately ticketed event for non pass holders. Other CF parks don’t close down at 5 and start Haunt at 7, it just transitions into Haunt. So SCarowinds could easily go to a ticketed only, no passholder event like Knotts. Heck, they’ve toyed with what Knotts does and offered a ‘SCarowinds Season Pass’ in the past.
By Coasterphreak
The difference is that Knott's has a full time creative team that works year round. Carowinds outsources an awful lot of its creative.
By HiveDive
Edwardo wrote:The thing is, SCarowinds is already a separately ticketed event for non pass holders. Other CF parks don’t close down at 5 and start Haunt at 7, it just transitions into Haunt. So SCarowinds could easily go to a ticketed only, no passholder event like Knotts. Heck, they’ve toyed with what Knotts does and offered a ‘SCarowinds Season Pass’ in the past.

California’s Great America & Canada’s Wonderland also do this (Others might also), the issue I see with going ticketed only is 1) Seasons pass holders now already come to expect scarowinds to be included, if you change this you’d likely upset your season pass holders 2)You’d be charging more for a product that likely won’t be much better, Knotts Scary Farm gets away with it because it’s arguably one of the best in the world, can’t say the same for Scarowinds. Admission prices are cheap and low cost for regional parks since so much of their revenue comes from in park sales.
By yawetag
Does anyone have a list of times for the shows this year? Trying to plan our night and don't want to miss anything.
By FezzyGamer
All I know is make sure to get there early for Overlord’s Awakening which starts around 6:55 and Overlord’s Revenge starts at 11:45.
By Edwardo
Coasterphreak wrote:The difference is that Knott's has a full time creative team that works year round. Carowinds outsources an awful lot of its creative.

That has nothing to do with whether they make it a seoerate ticket to SCarowinds or not. I’ve said that it’ll never be Knotts, the most outstanding reason being that it’s a highly popular event the way it is.

And the argument rejecting change is a poor argument as well. Major parks (even Disneyland) didn’t even have a POP system and were ticket per ride parks. Then they switched. Then they added season passes. Then they added tiers. Then they added pay to cut.

Change is introduced gradually. I’m not saying it’s a definite that they’ll make SCarowinds a fully separate ticket with an SP discount like Knotts, but the event is popular enough that they start it earlier, and have tried and implemented several things that Knotts has had success with over the years.

The moment they have data suggesting that they’ll get enough people to come and pay for a ticket even if they have a season pass, they’ll do just that. Because they’re a business.

People said Disney would never get over $100 because too many people would stop coming. Those people were wrong.
By jeffdavis
Thanks Chris! I was thinking eight and around that time. I remember some good mazes and themes but I know nothing is as good, if unchanged, over and over and over again.