General Carowinds discussion
By Glitch99
But there's no lane for another car to merge into until after the point you've entered the road, and thus are no longer turning onto it.

Not trying to argue. Is this a South Carolina thing? Here in NC, there are "free flowing" right turns no different that this turn, with the sole purpose of adding a lane so cars turning right don't need to wait for cross traffic. And what you are saying would negate the whole point of having on ramps on highways.
By Coasterphreak
Yes except that lane is not "dedicated" to Carowinds as it also provides access to the gas station/Wendy's for all northbound traffic, which is why exiting highway traffic must yield.
By Christopher Mallis
Technically it is “dedicated” to Carowinds considering it has a sign above it saying “Carowinds only” while yes it does give access to Wendy’s and the gas stations, it’s primarily used for Carowinds.
By Edwardo
No, ‘technically, it is not. The sign does not say Carowinds only traffic. It’s not a South Carolina thing, you’re not merging from an exit on to the interstate (which, btw, you still have to yield when merging from an exit, that’s the law...). Those two lanes that turn right are turning ON TO Carowinds Blvd. ANY TIME you’re turning on to another road, you must yield the right of way, even if your turn lane is going in to a new lane. That far right lane gives access to other businesses.

OBVIOUSLY it’s the law as there IS A YIELD SIGN THERE. And the reason why there is a YIELD SIGN there is because the law states you must YIELD. I can’t explain it any better than that, you have to pay attention to the YIELD SIGN that is ACTUALLY THERE TELLING YOU TO YIELD TO ONCOMING TRAFFIC.
By Glitch99
Coasterphreak wrote:Yes except that lane is not "dedicated" to Carowinds as it also provides access to the gas station/Wendy's for all northbound traffic, which is why exiting highway traffic must yield.

Right, cars can merge into the right lane to get to Wendy's. But doing so, they're the ones changing lanes. There's nothing for cars turning right to yield to, until they've completed the turn and are on the same road as anyone trying to merge right.
By Glitch99
Edwardo wrote:. It’s not a South Carolina thing, you’re not merging from an exit on to the interstate (which, btw, you still have to yield when merging from an exit, that’s the law...)..

But what your saying is that a car on the interstate can merge right into the on-ramp lane and have the right of way to do so over any cars using the on ramp to enter the interstate. If so, it's impossible to use an on ramp as intended, since you'd have to remain prepared to yield to anyone suddenly changing lanes to the right and cutting you off.

Of course you need to yield to oncoming traffic at a yield sign, but there is literally no oncoming traffic until you are through the intersection and have completed the turn. At which point you are part of the 4(?) lanes of traffic, not merging into it. It's impossible for there to be anything for you to yield to unless a car hops the curb and goes through the intersection on the sidewalk.

Again, not trying to argue, trying to understand. Because what you're saying makes even less sense that those dumb roundabouts and asinine "superstreets".
By uscbandfan
The drivers manual states... The three-sided Yield sign means you are approaching
an intersection where you must yield to any lanes you intend
to enter or cross approaching from the right or left.

Remember that the right-most lane IS PART OF Carowinds boulevard (albeit a very short segment of it) and you are ENTERING that lane from the exit ramp coming off the interstate. It doesn't matter that the end of the exit ramp is the same as the beginning of that lane. You still have to yield to traffic on Carowinds Boulevard when you come off the interstate. Someone on Carowinds boulevard has the right-of-way to change lanes into the right-most lane over someone entering Carowinds boulevard from the interstate.

The only time you wouldn't have a yield sign is if there was a solid white line painted between the lanes indicating you're not supposed to change lanes there.
By Glitch99
uscbandfan wrote:Remember that the right-most lane IS PART OF Carowinds boulevard (albeit a very short segment of it) and you are ENTERING that lane from the exit ramp coming off the interstate.

Someone on Carowinds boulevard has the right-of-way to change lanes into the right-most lane over someone entering Carowinds boulevard from the interstate.

But that's the point - they're changing lanes, you aren't the one merging into their lane. By the time there's even a lane to the right for them to move into, you've already completed the turn and are on Carowinds Blvd traveling in that lane yourself. At that point a car moving into the right lane is no different than a car in the far left lane moving into the center lane.
By Edwardo
What general statute are you basing your opinion on? Because you’re wrong. Otherwise there WOULDNT BE A YIELD SIGN THERE.

The cars in Carowinds Blvd have the right of way to merge into the newly created lane that you’re exiting on to, because they’re already ON CAROWINDS BLVD and have the right of way. That’s why there’s a yield sign. Because they can merge ahead of you.

You can continue to try and argue but you’re wrong. I work for NCDOT and am considered an expert in traffic laws, so unless you can show me the general statute you’re basing your comments on, I’m not going to continue a back and forth with you simply because you always demand to argue.
By yawetag
Edwardo wrote:You can continue to try and argue but you’re wrong. I work for NCDOT and am considered an expert in traffic laws

Can we divert the discussion to suicide lanes? I *just* learned you can't use those to pull into from a side street. In effect, they're only for people to use to turn left from the road.

How is this not something that's taught?
By Edwardo
Trust me when I say I would much prefer that everyone that wants to get a license should be required to take some form of drivers ed, even adults. Even if just for a week.
By coasterbruh
Soooooo, no fights this weekend lol lol?
By Edwardo
There no fight here. There’s simply someone that keeps demanding that other people are wrong when they’re not wrong lol.
By Glitch99
Edwardo wrote:What general statute are you basing your opinion on? Because you’re wrong. Otherwise there WOULDNT BE A YIELD SIGN THERE.

The cars in Carowinds Blvd have the right of way to merge into the newly created lane that you’re exiting on to, because they’re already ON CAROWINDS BLVD and have the right of way. That’s why there’s a yield sign. Because they can merge ahead of you.

You can continue to try and argue but you’re wrong. I work for NCDOT and am considered an expert in traffic laws, so unless you can show me the general statute you’re basing your comments on, I’m not going to continue a back and forth with you simply because you always demand to argue.

So at what point are you no longer entering Carowinds Blvd and are considered to be traveling on Carowinds Blvd? If not at the point of completing the turn onto the road, you still have to earn the right of way in that lane at some point.

And no, I'm not trying to argue, I'm trying to understand.