General Carowinds discussion
By Edwardo
You’ve entered Carowinds Blvd once you’ve turned into the lane and are traveling on Carowinds Blvd. having already yielded to traffic. To do that, you’d have had to have yielded to any traffic already on Carowinds Blvd that May me merging into the new right lane, even if they’re in another lane and merging into the newly created right lane. If there is no vehicle making a merge into the new lane, then you may continue without stopping. That’s the whole concept of yielding.
By Glitch99
Glitch99 wrote:
Edwardo wrote:What general statute are you basing your opinion on? Because you’re wrong. Otherwise there WOULDNT BE A YIELD SIGN THERE.

The cars in Carowinds Blvd have the right of way to merge into the newly created lane that you’re exiting on to, because they’re already ON CAROWINDS BLVD and have the right of way. That’s why there’s a yield sign. Because they can merge ahead of you.

You can continue to try and argue but you’re wrong. I work for NCDOT and am considered an expert in traffic laws, so unless you can show me the general statute you’re basing your comments on, I’m not going to continue a back and forth with you simply because you always demand to argue.

So at what point are you no longer entering Carowinds Blvd and are considered to be traveling on Carowinds Blvd? If not at the point of completing the turn onto the road, you still have to earn the right of way in that lane at some point.

And no, I'm not trying to argue, I'm trying to understand.

Edit:
https://connect.ncdot.gov/resources/saf ... W-26pr.pdf
No, there's no such sign posted at this intersection. But such a sign is for the benefit of the lane that is turning right, and it's "standard practice" based on certain criteria, not a requirement. Cars on the cross-street (Carowinds Blvd) have no clue if there's such a sign posted. Are you saying that a car having the right of way to freely merge to the right is dependent on a sign that may or may not be posted in the opposing direction?
By Glitch99
Edwardo wrote:You’ve entered Carowinds Blvd once you’ve turned into the lane

But when has this occurred, if not at the point of making the turn? Because there's literally no lane for cars to merge right into until after you've already turned into that lane.
By coasterbruh
Edwardo wrote:There no fight here.

I mean at SCarowinds, once they yielded to get in of course . . .
By Edwardo
I’m not going to continue repeating myself. You’re incorrect, and if you can’t understand a simple explanation, I’m not going to continue to waste time other than to say you’re incorrect, the yield sign is obviously there because that lane is meant to yield, and if you want to test it, by all means, next time you’re there fail to yield and see what happens when you repeat everything you’ve said here to the police officer and the insurance companies involved in your accident.
By Glitch99
Edwardo wrote:I’m not going to continue repeating myself. You’re incorrect, and if you can’t understand a simple explanation, I’m not going to continue to waste time other than to say you’re incorrect, the yield sign is obviously there because that lane is meant to yield, and if you want to test it, by all means, next time you’re there fail to yield and see what happens when you repeat everything you’ve said here to the police officer and the insurance companies involved in your accident.

The only thing you continue repeating is "but but but I'm an expert!". Of course there's a yield sign there, the whole point is there's literally nothing to yield to. I've asked very straightforward questions to clarify the matter, and you continue to just cite your so-called expertise instead of actually answering the questions. If you work for the NCDOT and are considered an expert on traffic law, you should have any number of references and regulations at your fingertips to support what you're saying and help me understand.

At what point do you go from turning off the highway to traveling on Carowinds Blvd? And where does the turn lane become an additional lane of Carowinds Blvd? Any traffic expert should easily be able to answer those questions.

In fact, the second right turn lane has markings to indicate a yield point when merging with oncoming traffic. The far right lane has no such markings. And once on Carowinds Blvd, there is a solid white line to the left of the right-most lane, marking that cars on Carowinds Blvd are NOT to move into the far right lane at that point. After a bit, it changes to a broken white line, indicating you may merge right when it's safe to do so. The markings make it perfectly clear that at no time does a car on Carowinds Blvd have the right of way in that right-most lane.
Last edited by Glitch99 on September 23rd, 2019, 12:47 pm, edited 5 times in total.
By BrianH1970
If you're driving onto Carowinds Blvd from 77 south and you don't yield to oncoming traffic, that's an accident begging to happen. The guy coming from before the light trying to get into the Exxon for a fill doesn't really care about one dedicated lane getting to an amusement park. Nor will the folks who have to slam on their brakes behind him and wait, or the ones who make a risky lane change to go around the one guy waiting for people to finally yield and let him go.
By BrianH1970
Glitch99 wrote:The only thing you continue repeating is "but but but I'm an expert!". Of course there's a yield sign there, the whole point is there's literally nothing to yield to.

You're yielding to the folks who have to cross into that far right lane to get to the three or four businesses that have nothing to do with Carowinds. That's who you're yielding to.
By Glitch99
BrianH1970 wrote:
Glitch99 wrote:The only thing you continue repeating is "but but but I'm an expert!". Of course there's a yield sign there, the whole point is there's literally nothing to yield to.

You're yielding to the folks who have to cross into that far right lane to get to the three or four businesses that have nothing to do with Carowinds. That's who you're yielding to.

"Because I want to go there" does not grant you the right of way to go there....
By BrianH1970
Glitch99 wrote:
BrianH1970 wrote:

"Because I want to go there" does not grant you the right of way to go there....

When it potentially affects 2-3 additional lanes of traffic you better believe it does. Their "because I want to go there" supersedes your "because I want to go there" to the extent you'd be the one legally liable for any accident caused by not yielding.

It's common sense safety 101: you're creating far more of a traffic hazard by not yielding to drivers wanting to enter those businesses.
By RollerBee
Are you complaining about the highlighted lane?

Edwardo works for NCDOT so he probably knows what he is talking about it.
Attachments
By Glitch99
BrianH1970 wrote:
Glitch99 wrote:
BrianH1970 wrote:

When it potentially affects 2-3 additional lanes of traffic you better believe it does. Their "because I want to go there" supersedes your "because I want to go there" to the extent you'd be the one legally liable for any accident caused by not yielding.

It's common sense safety 101: you're creating far more of a traffic hazard by not yielding to drivers wanting to enter those businesses.

Well now this has just gotten funny.
By Glitch99
RollerBee wrote:Are you complaining about the highlighted lane?

Edwardo works for NCDOT so he probably knows what he is talking about it.

Yes, the lane you highlighted. That has no markings for a yield point (unlike the other turn lane), and does have markings to indicate cars in other lanes on Carowinds Blvd should not move right, into that lane.

If Edwardo is an expert who knows what he's talking about he really should elaborate. Because he's going against everything any of us has ever been taught about driving, including in those drivers ed classes he says should be required.
Last edited by Glitch99 on September 23rd, 2019, 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By coasterbruh
Sooo . . . How many haunts does SCarowinds have this year? Not including the traffic jam scarezone . . .
By Edwardo
I’ve answered the question several times. We’re discussing the furthest right lane that has a yield sign. Any other lanes are irrelevant BECAUSE THERES YIELD SIGN. You continue to rebut that and say otherwise. If you are unfamiliar with how to yield when there is a yield sign saying to yield, it isn’t my responsibility to teach you. You’re the ONLY person in this thread that doesn’t understand what that sign means.

There is a sign that says yield. The law says you must obey that sign. You’re arguing that one shouldn’t have to. That’s. On. You.

This was the original comment:

Edit: And while I’m on the topic of traffic, can SCdot PLEASE remove the yield sign in the right most lane on the exit coming from the north? It’s a pet peeve of mine when people stop there when a new lane is created for them. There’s nothing to really yield to.

Cars on Carowinds Blvd have the right of way to change lanes into the newly created right lanes that cars coming off of the interstate are turning into because those cars are already on Carowinds Blvd. They have the right to merge and any car entering Carowinds Blvd at the yield sign must yield. I can’t make it any simpler.
Last edited by Edwardo on September 23rd, 2019, 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.