General Carowinds discussion
By Christopher Mallis
I think carowinds is moving towards placing rides more on the outsides of midways rather than in the middle of them like Blue Ridge and what they did with the old game booths. I could see a similar thing in the current crossroads section if the game booths get ripped out.
By coasterbruh
Edwardo wrote:That plots not big enough with Afterburn’s turn for a giant frisbee. Not near enough clearance. That’s a tight plot of land.

Besides, I’d rather have a Zamperla Discovery somewhere where it fits.

Not even if it is parallel to the first drop and loop? (ok, I see it's more than on discussion going on)

Also, I wouldn't want to lose an attraction for another. I think it's room in the midway for the barrels and still keep the bumper cars. I mean, the carousel fit right in the midway right?

I think everyone is on the right path to add a show theater back in the area. I think it will take family attractions to make it work though. Something like a disco-coaster, a ring of fire, a ferris wheel to name a few.
By tarheel1231
coasterbruh wrote:Also, I wouldn't want to lose an attraction for another. I think it's room in the midway for the barrels and still keep the bumper cars. I mean, the carousel fit right in the midway right?

You could probably put the Breakdance right next to Dodg'ems where the Rita's and basketball game is, but I moved Dodg'em's over here in another post (though this is all a pipe dream).

And speaking of pipe dreams, since Carowinds is approaching its 50th, one of my wishes for the anniversary is the return of a transportation ride; namely, the Carowinds Trolley:

This trolley would effectively serve as an in-park tram similar to the trams at the Busch Gardens parks as well as the tram the park used to have. It would consist of three cars:

The trolley would travel along the park's maintenance roads from the North Gate to the South Gate.

The North Gate station would be located where the entrance to Rip Roarin' Rapids was, with it circling around the are behind Stateline Designs:

The South Gate station would be located in the bottom-right corner of where Dinosaurs Alive used to be, with a pathway leading directly from the South Gate:

During SCarowinds, since the maintenance road is closed for the Depths of Darkness queue, the trolley would take an alternate route under Intimidator's helix:

The reason I feel that a trolley/tram would make sense is because it's the most cost-effective transportation ride. It doesn't require any railroad tracks to be laid, any cables/towers to be built, and it can operate on existing maintenance roads. The reason I chose this portion of the maintenance road is because the other half goes directly through the staff entrance, which would be ideal for neither guests or employees. This portion of the road is also where the park's railroad used to travel, so the path makes sense. It also allows for some nice visuals when crossing over the bridge into the park.
By coasterbruh
How fast would this thing go because you could probably walk faster between stations as it makes that loop around the park. . .
By tarheel1231
coasterbruh wrote:How fast would this thing go because you could probably walk faster between stations as it makes that loop around the park. . .

Probably ~15 mph, but speed isn’t the only benefit of having in-park transportation. It gives the park another relaxing family attraction, and as hot as it gets in the summer, it would be nice to be able to save energy while walking.
By yawetag
They were using a trolley with singers on it during Winterfest (and maybe SCarowinds, too).
By pproteinc
Edwardo wrote:That plots not big enough with Afterburn’s turn for a giant frisbee. Not near enough clearance. That’s a tight plot of land.

That land is very much so big enough for a Huss or Mondial frisbee. Just depends on what the direction it’s swinging.

Cedar Fair will never get a Zamperla Giant Discovery. If you noticed with Cedar Fair, ESPECIALLY Carowinds, ride time and shuffling people through the line is everything for capacity. Zamperla frisbees take entirely too long to get to full swing. Delirium at KD is at full Swing after six swings and they give you ONE full swing at its highest point. Carowinds typically don’t go over 3 mins from load to cycle to unload. Kinda what I’ve calculated and also Miss Pat has expressed to me after trying to argue her down jokingly about Zephyr’s and the other county fair flat ride cycles.
By coasterbruh
Maaaaan, leave that woman alone . . .
By pproteinc
^ Haha!! She’s my girl. Actually most of the time she asks me questions or tell me if I see anything let her. Pretty much the same relationship I had with Mike. I mean she sees me almost every operating day lol.
By Edwardo
Do you realize how many trees would have to be pulled out, buildings demolished, and land flattened to fit that there?

Not happening. As much as you want it. As much as you bug Pat, it’s not going there.

And I didn’t say they would get a Discovery, just that I’d prefer it as the better version of that ride.
By Glitch99
pproteinc wrote:

That land is very much so big enough for a Huss or Mondial frisbee. Just depends on what the direction it’s swinging..

It's a tight fit there. But slide it back a bit, so that it sits square with the theater building? Put the supports right up to the parking lot, andd let the backswing extend over the sidewalk/parking lot? That'd reduce it's footprint a little, and should allow for more buffer between it and Afterburn.
By tarheel1231
Edwardo wrote:Do you realize how many trees would have to be pulled out, buildings demolished, and land flattened to fit that there?

Because the park has never done that before?

It fits, and if you re-orient the queue, you can get even more clearance. Hell, you could probably use some of PvZ's queue.
By Edwardo
That’s not in the Southern Star plot as was said. That’s in a totally different spot.

In the old Southern Star section I’d place a Giant Frisbee...

I mean. It’s not happening, though.
By tarheel1231
Edwardo wrote:That’s not in the Southern Star plot as was said. That’s in a totally different spot.

In the old Southern Star section I’d place a Giant Frisbee...

I mean. It’s not happening, though.

Oh, my fault. I thought y'all were talking about the Yo-Yo plot.

Out of curiosity though, I decided to overlay a Zamperla model over the area and surprisingly, it still fits. The only thing that really matters for putting a frisbee back there is where you put the queue: