General Carowinds discussion
So I’ve been thinking lately, with Cedar Fair’s goal to remove maintenance headaches:unpopular rides, combined with Kings Island sending the FH & Vortex trains down our way. Are the days of Nighthawk and Cyclone numbered?

My theory is that the trains were sent here for the short term, and that the park has decided to cut back on having to reorder new parts for both Nighthawk and Carolina Cyclone. I think the arrival signals that these two coasters’ days are numbered, with the former being the maintenance nightmare, and the latter seeing declining popularity.
By RollerBee
tarheel1231 wrote:So I’ve been thinking lately, with Cedar Fair’s goal to remove maintenance headaches:unpopular rides, combined with Kings Island sending the FH & Vortex trains down our way. Are the days of Nighthawk and Cyclone numbered?

My theory is that the trains were sent here for the short term, and that the park has decided to cut back on having to reorder new parts for both Nighthawk and Carolina Cyclone. I think the arrival signals that these two coasters’ days are numbered, with the former being the maintenance nightmare, and the latter seeing declining popularity.

Stop thinking and go make more Tarheel art.
By Edwardo
It’s my understanding (not a confirmation here, just scuttle from some peeps that talk) that the parks were tasked to look at a large ride at the parks and decide if they needed to cut the ride. This was after Thunder Road. It was more of an aberration that KI lost two. Not the rule.

I don’t see multiple coasters from the parks going. They got rid of some of the biggest headaches and/or least ridden (TR, Volcano, Firehawk, Vortex, Boomerang).
By HiveDive
While I don’t think Nighthawk will be here by the end of the decade I’m not quite sure it’ll be leaving within the next 5 years. Considering they’ve gotten the Firehawk parts it theoretically should be able to make it through the next few years. However I also wouldn’t be surprised if it left sooner rather then later. Arrow loopers typically aren't maintenance nightmares (this was also true for Vortex) and id assume Carolina Cyclone is in better condition due to the fact it’s less intense then Vortex, I see it staying for near future.
By RollerBee
The parts they are getting off Vortex and Firehawk’s trains fall into two categories.
1)Parts that are replaced as part of routine maintenance, IE: Wheels, these wont last the season before being recoated/replaced again.

2) Parts that aren’t routine maintenance, IE the frames and fiberglass parts.

That ain’t saying whether or not, a bunch of spare parts came too.

In short, getting those trains doesn’t mean anything. I imagine Carowinds at most paid KI for used parts and atleast Cedar Fair paid shipping costs between the two parts.

(In reference to Cyclone only)
Remember we are talking about a coaster that is 40 years old and two trains that are 32 years old.

Both of which are past their service life.

As far as Fire/Nighthawk goes,
Until Nighthawk or Batwing goes then I believe it is safe to say that Firehawk is an outlier(for now).

From what I was told during a conversation with the Maintenance Director at SFA, most of the rides at SFA are still under warranty except for a few so it is Rare that they make parts for any of their rides. I didn’t ask specifically about Batwing.
By RollerBee
CarowindsFan wrote:
RollerBee wrote:(In reference to Cyclone only)
Remember we are talking about a coaster that is 40 years old and two trains that are 32 years old.

Were the Cyclone trains replaced when it was 8?

No, Vortex(KI) trains are 32 years old.

Thunder Road and Cobra are the only Carowinds coasters to have their trains changed. Thunder Road opened with two trains from Riverview Park and the park brought 4 trains between 1978 and 1980.
By JWitter
I believe they will absolutely remove Cyclone within the next 2-3 years.

I'd love to see Nighthawk taken out, but until we are due for another major coaster I can't seem them pulling out something in the dead center of the park (unless of course, it becomes unsafe to operate)

I also feel that Hurler will be the next coaster to see anything happen to it (RMC) likely the same year they add the new coaster to KD, and remove Cyclone.
Hurler is most likely safe. As others have mentioned (including the park’s director of maintenance), our Hurler is in much better shape structurally than KD’s was, so the park has opted to continue routine maintenance on it rather than convert it.
tarheel1231 wrote:Hurler is most likely safe. As others have mentioned (including the park’s director of maintenance), our Hurler is in much better shape structurally than KD’s was, so the park has opted to continue routine maintenance on it rather than convert it.

Sure, but it's an utterly mediocre coaster. If Cedar Fair is serious about making Carowinds a destination park of sorts (and I believe they are), I can't see Hurler sticking around in its current form for too much longer. Other Cedar Fair parks have started taking out their mediocre/bad major coasters more often in recent years, so I think it's pretty likely that at least three of Hurler, Vortex, Cyclone, or Nighthawk won't survive the decade.
BelowThePeak wrote: I can't see Hurler sticking around in its current form for too much longer. Other Cedar Fair parks have started taking out their mediocre/bad major coasters more often in recent years, so I think it's pretty likely that at least three of Hurler, Vortex, Cyclone, or Nighthawk won't survive the decade.

You say this as if Cedar Point doesn't still have blue streak and Gemini. Every coaster doesn't have to be the best in it's class. This is one of those moments where quantity may, in fact, trump apparent quality.

But after thinking, if I had to name a ride to be removed it would be yo-yo. It just doesn't seem to fit.
By Edwardo
I thought it funny that he thinks they’re going to budget money to demolish 3 major coasters, which would kill capacity at the park, in the next Ten years.

And don’t come back with “oh they’ll replace them”.

They’re not doing that.
Parks care about numbers. Two particular number more than other (aside from the obvious profit margin), capacity and attendance. I wonder if some people think parks sit around and play rushing roulette (not saying anyone here) with what ride they are going to get rid of. I feel the last thing a park wants to do is get rid of rides but it HAS to be done in some cases. Hopefully they have all the problem attractions are long gone and the park can focus on adding vs subtracting. But yea, wouldn't mind seeing yo-yo go-go. . .
By Glitch99
BelowThePeak wrote:
tarheel1231 wrote:Hurler is most likely safe. As others have mentioned (including the park’s director of maintenance), our Hurler is in much better shape structurally than KD’s was, so the park has opted to continue routine maintenance on it rather than convert it.

Sure, but it's an utterly mediocre coaster. If Cedar Fair is serious about making Carowinds a destination park of sorts (and I believe they are), I can't see Hurler sticking around in its current form for too much longer. Other Cedar Fair parks have started taking out their mediocre/bad major coasters more often in recent years, so I think it's pretty likely that at least three of Hurler, Vortex, Cyclone, or Nighthawk won't survive the decade.

Even if you deem it mediocre, it's still a valuable ride. They arent going to remove it (or any of the others) for the sake of removing it. It'll always be better to have a ride that some people dont like, as opposed to not having the ride at all.

Maybe one will go to make room for the next big expansion, whenever that happens. Otherwise, they're staying put unless they fall apart on their own.