General Carowinds discussion
Jonathan wrote:This must be the hotel.

Here are the uses that are permitted in I-1 but not I-2. You would only apply for a rezoning from I-2 to I-1 if you wanted to build one of these uses:

• Automotive sales and repair
  • Boat and ship sales and repair
  • Financial institutions
  • Hotels and motels
  • Manufactured housing sales
  • Offices up to 400,000 square feet
  • Retail establishments, shopping centers and business, personal and recreational services up to 70,000 square feet
  • Theaters, motion picture

I watched the video of the council meeting. The representative speaking in favor of the zoning change said a few things of note. And I'll paraphrase somewhat.

There is only one thing they cannot do in the current zoning that the new zoning will allow them to do.

Carowinds is in the hospitality business and this rezoning is towards the ends of staying in the hospitality business as part of their long term plans.

And lastly, a direct quote, "We need to be able to put some hotels here."
coasterbruh wrote:Is the video online somewhere?

http://charlottenc.granicus.com/MediaPl ... _id=228571

There will be an index below the video if your browser is set like mine, scroll down to item 40 and click on it will jump you to the Carowinds portion of the rezoning hearing. The guy that makes the statements is at about the 2 hour 54 minute mark.
I guess the timeline of this project really just depends on how big it's going to be and what it is going to include. At the Rezoning Hearing the speaker on behalf of Cedar Fair pointed out two things they would like to include on the land which is a Hotel and Retail. Retail could mean a Gift Shop in the lobby but if they are doing a few shops and dining options then I wouldn't expect this Hotel to open before the end of 2019. If this is a Hotel more like Breakers Express then I could see a Late 2018 to Early 2019 Opening, It really just depends on the scale of the Hotel. If it's going to be anything like how fast they worked on county fair then this isn't opening till at least 2020 regardless of the size :lol: :lol: :lol:
cadi40 wrote:I guess the timeline of this project really just depends on how big it's going to be and what it is going to include. At the Rezoning Hearing the speaker on behalf of Cedar Fair pointed out two things they would like to include on the land which is a Hotel and Retail. Retail could mean a Gift Shop in the lobby but if they are doing a few shops and dining options then I wouldn't expect this Hotel to open before the end of 2019. If this is a Hotel more like Breakers Express then I could see a Late 2018 to Early 2019 Opening, It really just depends on the scale of the Hotel. If it's going to be anything like how fast they worked on county fair then this isn't opening till at least 2020 regardless of the size :lol: :lol: :lol:

You better hope the County Fair crew don't place a bid. The Fury construction crew would have it open by March 2018.
This said the hotel will be part of the next phase of development. My guess is this is a couple of years out, but I wouldnt be surprised to see some kind of construction starting next year.... It probably will take at least a year to build anyway.