General Carowinds discussion
cadi40 wrote:
Capler wrote:You better hope the County Fair crew don't place a bid. The Fury construction crew would have it open by March 2018.

Haha! So true! It took them the whole off season to put in 4 Carnival Rides!

It only took 4 months.... they didnt even start actual construction until like November I believe.... They had a lot of stuff to take out (waterslide etc.) so it was quite a bit of work. Fury took twice as long. I think Carowinds normally uses Southside for construction of everything... I might be wrong on that, but I always see the signs, especially for carolina harbor and some other things. A hotel is a much much larger project though especially if its 10+ stories. I wonder just how big they would go with this? I would hope for a indoor waterpark as well I think that would benefit greatly, even allowing daily visits with a small admission fee. I would go to it for sure. I loved castaway bay.
No, no. It wasn't with him (I wish though! :lol: ) I was going to intern with ESP Associates (specifically their Carowinds team). However, we both decided that since I have not yet started my bachelor's degree, that I should just wait until I've started it.

Also, have you guys even thought that this 24 acre parcel is only in North Carolina. They'll have to do a separate petition for the South Carolina Side.
Jonathan wrote:It doesn't necessarily mean they want to build on all 24 acres, though, it's just that the parcel they need re-zoned is a 24 acre parcel.

Ah, so it's like all or none when it comes to land. Like if I wanted to change 5 acres of my 12 acre plot, I would have to get all 12 acres rezone.
Amos Said last year:
Here pretty soon, I'll be working at Carowinds, then in the next year or so, I'll be working under Mr. Decker. They needed a concept artist...Carowinds submitted my name, and here I am now.
Last edited by Edwardo on July 20th, 2017, 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RiDeWaRrIoR wrote:It only took 4 months.... they didnt even start actual construction until like November I believe.... They had a lot of stuff to take out (waterslide etc.) so it was quite a bit of work. Fury took twice as long. I think Carowinds normally uses Southside for construction of everything... I might be wrong on that, but I always see the signs, especially for carolina harbor and some other things. A hotel is a much much larger project though especially if its 10+ stories. I wonder just how big they would go with this? I would hope for a indoor waterpark as well I think that would benefit greatly, even allowing daily visits with a small admission fee. I would go to it for sure. I loved castaway bay.

I would love to see an indoor water park or a shopping center!
FamousAmos wrote:Also, have you guys even thought that this 24 acre parcel is only in North Carolina. They'll have to do a separate petition for the South Carolina Side.

Is there even any space on the SC Side for a hotel? It seemed that the 24 Acres they have is already plenty. I don't know though :think: :think:
FamousAmos wrote:No, no. It wasn't with him (I wish though! :lol: ) I was going to intern with ESP Associates (specifically their Carowinds team). However, we both decided that since I have not yet started my bachelor's degree, that I should just wait until I've started it.

Also, have you guys even thought that this 24 acre parcel is only in North Carolina. They'll have to do a separate petition for the South Carolina Side.

Not if it's already zoned correctly there would be no need for a petition.
Looks like this area is more than enough room to put a small resort-like hotel, parking lot for said hotel and room for expansion in the future should said hotel be a hit (without extending into SC). (this may be more or less than the 24 acres but there is more than enough room on the NC side)
Image]
As someone mentioned, they wouldn't have to rezone on the SC side if current zoning already allows for hotels.

ETA: I checked, current zoning is UD which allows for hotels.

Also, due to tax breaks/incentives given to hotels, it might be more financially attractive to just build the hotel on the NC side.

As to any possible movement on the SC side of things, during this month's council meeting there was this.

"GAVE FIRST READING OF AN ORDINANCE BY TITLE ONLY, AUTHORIZING THE
EXECUTION AND DELIVERY OF A FEE-IN-LIEU OF TAX AND INCENTIVE
AGREEMENT BY AND BETWEEN YORK COUNTY, SOUTH CAROLINA AND A
COMPANY IDENTIFIED FOR THE TIME BEING AS PROJECT RING, ACTING FOR
ITSELF, AND/OR ONE OR MORE AFFILIATES OR OTHER PROJECT SPONSORS
(THE "COMPANY"), PURSUANT TO WHICH THE COUNTY SHALL COVENANT TO
ACCEPT CERTAIN NEGOTIATED FEES IN LIEU OF AD VALOREM TAXES WITH
RESPECT TO THE ESTABLISHMENT AND/OR EXPANSION OF CERTAIN
FACILITIES IN THE COUNTY (COLLECTIVELY, THE "PROJECT"); AND (2) OTHER
MATTERS RELATING THERETO."

Now it could be nothing, this is how they list projects that don't want the name to be known out there. But since this paticular reading mentions expansion of something existing I bring it up.

Also when Fury was being approved it was known as "Project Ride." This quite possibly is completely unrelated, or it could be movement on the SC side.

This is the wording from the Fury petition: "A RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING (1) THE EXECUTION AND
DELIVERY OF A FEE IN LIEU OF TAX AND INCENTIVE
AGREEMENT BY AND BETWEEN YORK COUNTY, SOUTH
CAROLINA (THE “COUNTY”) AND A COMPANY IDENTIFIED FOR
THE TIME BEING AS PROJECT RIDE, ACTING FOR ITSELF, ONE
OR MORE AFFILIATES AND/OR OTHER PROJECT SPONSORS
(THE “COMPANY”), PURSUANT TO WHICH THE COUNTY SHALL
COVENANT TO ACCEPT CERTAIN NEGOTIATED FEES IN LIEU
OF AD VALOREM TAXES WITH RESPECT TO THE
ESTABLISHMENT AND/OR EXPANSION OF CERTAIN FACILITIES
IN THE COUNTY (COLLECTIVELY, THE “PROJECT”); AND (2)
OTHER MATTERS RELATING THERETO.

ETA: The Comfort Inn sits on 4 acres for a size comparison of what could be done on 24.
Edwardo wrote:
Amos Said last year:
Here pretty soon, I'll be working at Carowinds, then in the next year or so, I'll be working under Mr. Decker. They needed a concept artist...Carowinds submitted my name, and here I am now.

Maybe Mr. Decker works at that place?!?!
Now that I'm awake and had time to think about it, why would I lie, Amos? I was asking a legit question based off something you said to me. That you don't remember saying something that significant then imply I'm being dishonest makes me question other things you've said in both private and public.

What reason woukd I have had to lie? Especially since the comment came from an unsolicited PM that You sent to Me, one that should still be in your sent folder and is still in my rec'd folder with the whole rest of the conversation.

I'm bring polite by not screen caping the whole thing at this point, by the way...