General Carowinds discussion
I'm assuming by "Rattle", you're talking about that weird vibration. I noticed it on day 1...opening day no less... not the first time I rode it (because I rode front row, left seat and it's not very prevalent there) I noticed it the second time when I was about 4th row on the right side. It's bad enough to enduce a headache if I ride more than a couple times in a row. I've ridden the coaster a bunch of times and it seems more prevalent in the middle rows but, you're right, with today's technology, there is NO WAY there should be ANY rattle or vibration AT ALL. (...and I agree...never have felt a rattle or vibration on Intimidator.)
uscbandfan wrote:I'm assuming by "Rattle", you're talking about that weird vibration. I noticed it on day 1...opening day no less... not the first time I rode it (because I rode front row, left seat and it's not very prevalent there) I noticed it the second time when I was about 4th row on the right side. It's bad enough to enduce a headache if I ride more than a couple times in a row. I've ridden the coaster a bunch of times and it seems more prevalent in the middle rows but, you're right, with today's technology, there is NO WAY there should be ANY rattle or vibration AT ALL. (...and I agree...never have felt a rattle or vibration on Intimidator.)

Odd, I have noticed the vibration more on Intimidator than Fury.
I also noticed the "rattle" on Fury from the very beginning. To me the weirdest thing about it is that not everyone experiences it. None of my friends that I've gone with have agreed with me about it, and we've all switched around and sat in different places. And there seems to also be a split on here between people who feel it and people who don't.

The way I experience it, there's no way I could not notice it- it's not like it's a super minor thing that I'm being picky about, it really does completely ruin the ride when it's bad, and even when it's not bad it's hard to totally ignore. So it makes no sense to me that some people don't feel it at all, and it's really frustrating to me that I'm bothered by it because I just want to enjoy the ride.
By Jonathan
I don't notice it on Fury at all; never really have.

On Banshee though, which many others insist has no rattle, it's so noticeable to me that it instantly induces a headache every time.

Weird stuff.
By FamousAmos
There is much more of a rattle on Intimidator than on Fury. I've rode fury 35 times in a row and not get a headache or even complain about a rattle. Now, I have noticed a slight "shimmy" of the cars just due to how fast the train moves. There's nothing that can be done about that unfortunately. It's just how the motion physics are affecting the cars.

Now with intimidator, every time I ride I look down at the wheel carriers and their respective bearings under the cars where they connect to the chassis. I can see just how much they move from side to side. Even though it is only very VERY slight movement, it's enough to cause a noticeable vibration, not a rattle, but a vibration. And again, this is probably due to one thing: the age of the chassis, but more importantly, the age of the part that is connected to the chassis that connects the wheel carriers to the car. The connectors between the chassis and the ball bearings on the wheel carriers may need to be re-manufactured soon so as to accommodate for the very very slight side-to-side movement. It's been 7 years, so I'm sure that they've worn down some. It's a part that's not replaced very often. Mainly due to how expensive it is to replace. However, I think that if it is replaced soon, the "rattle" on intimidator will be reduced to a "vibration" like on fury.
By uscbandfan
aoriole19 wrote:I also noticed the "rattle" on Fury from the very beginning. To me the weirdest thing about it is that not everyone experiences it. None of my friends that I've gone with have agreed with me about it, and we've all switched around and sat in different places. And there seems to also be a split on here between people who feel it and people who don't.

The way I experience it, there's no way I could not notice it- it's not like it's a super minor thing that I'm being picky about, it really does completely ruin the ride when it's bad, and even when it's not bad it's hard to totally ignore. So it makes no sense to me that some people don't feel it at all, and it's really frustrating to me that I'm bothered by it because I just want to enjoy the ride.

Agree 100%. I wouldn't say Fury is a "rattle" but a vibration. Any time I've ridden Fury more than twice in a row, I've gotten a headache and sometimes it's bad enough to get it with one ride. It really ruins the ride for me as well. Intimidator I can ride all day.
By gabed
I know this is a bit off topic, but this came to mind when thinking of newer rides with rattles. Did anyone else who rode it notice the rattle throughout Lightning Rod? Don't get me wrong, that thing is spectacular, but I was surprised that such a new ride could have already developed a rattle like that. Is that a common thing with topper track RMCs?
By fishels
aoriole19 wrote:I also noticed the "rattle" on Fury from the very beginning. To me the weirdest thing about it is that not everyone experiences it. None of my friends that I've gone with have agreed with me about it, and we've all switched around and sat in different places. And there seems to also be a split on here between people who feel it and people who don't.

This so much. I rode in 2015 and 2016 with absolutely no problems... well in 2016 I had a problem from the ride that caused a doctor visit and a MRI but I don't really wanna get into it. And it only happened ONCE.

Yet I have ridden it twice now in 2017 and find it very unpleasant. It's like someone else said, more of a vibration than anything. But it's enough to make me walk away from the ride not wanting to get back on. Where as before I might have a mild headache.

Yet this season I have found intimidator to be smooth (when I found it rough last season) :!:

I'm starting to think it either depends on where you sit or if your body is just having a "off day". Or both. I thought maybe I'm getting old until I remembered I'm 23.

But I hope the ride doesn't continue to make me feel stuff that my body can't handle. And I hope it's not the ride itself getting a bit rougher. Because it's definitely one of the best rides ever and I would hate to have to stop riding.

Just giving my experience as this is genuinely the first season I've experienced this complaint myself.
By Sean978
Funny, last season I had a ride on Fury where the rattle gave me a headache, but this Season I haven't felt the rattle once. The only B&M that consistently rattled for me was Banshee.
I've felt the rattle too. But it's not bad at all. It's just from where the trains go so fast. You have to remember, Fury's trains go sometimes 30 miles per hour faster than Intimidator's trains.
By fishels
FamousAmos wrote:I've felt the rattle too. But it's not bad at all. It's just from where the trains go so fast. You have to remember, Fury's trains go sometimes 30 miles per hour faster than Intimidator's trains.

Oh I know. It's just that I've never had a ride breaking experience until 2017.

It would really suck If my body simply can't tolerate the ride anymore.