General Carowinds discussion
By CCookieMonster
Yeah, 3 million different people a year seems like it would be really hard to happen, at this point. Maybe in 2023, there's a 50th anniversary miracle and we do see 3 million different visitors! But this 45th anniversary, a miracle like that seems a bit ambitious.
By Edwardo
Yearly attendance is how many people (repeat, single day, pass holders,) come thru the turnstiles in a year. So that includes all ticket types together.

And there’s no way Carowinds is getting 20,000 average a day. It’s dead during the week. They wouldn’t likely get over 2 mill if the season wasn’t extended so long. They’ll likely get to 3 mill but it won’t be unique visitors. And it won’t make the park a 20,000 person a day park. That’s just not going to happen. They have a finite amount of people for attendance to draw from.
By RollerBee
Edwardo wrote:Yearly attendance is how many people (repeat, single day, pass holders,) come thru the turnstiles in a year. So that includes all ticket types together.

And there’s no way Carowinds is getting 20,000 average a day. It’s dead during the week. They wouldn’t likely get over 2 mill if the season wasn’t extended so long. They’ll likely get to 3 mill but it won’t be unique visitors. And it won’t make the park a 20,000 person a day park. That’s just not going to happen. They have a finite amount of people for attendance to draw from.

In 2006 with attendance at 2.14 million a normal Saturday was 20,000 daily attendance, a normal weekday was 15,000 daily attendance.

I have seen attendance in one day high enough that the park closed the gates, a busy Saturday was 25,000 or higher.

If attendance dropped below 3,000 the park may have closed for the day. That magic number was 1,000 during Winterfest.

That was 2005/2006 again with lower attendance according to Cedar Fair.
By RRRAPIDS
The extended season will help for sure. I think with whatever 2019 brings especially if it's a coaster, it's going to sell. Also, Charlotte area is growing period. Just look at the traffic. We have some of the worst. Also many people that have moved here have not been to Carowinds yet. You will be surprised. With Carowinds being off of a major Interstate, there should be more advertisement leading up to the park. More of those historic (Brown signs) like Kings Dominion and some Six Flags parks have on interstates.
By RRRAPIDS
carolinaman wrote:Do-Si-Do has a light package now

I love every bit of it. Hopefully they fixed the lights on Electro Spin (mainly the seats.). Hopefully the Scrambler has lights added along with the Carousel.
By CCookieMonster
Yay! Can't wait to visit this summer. I always get excited especially now that I'm brave enough to ride the three rides that you couldn't pay me to get on let's say 3 years ago: Fury, Intimidator, and Drop Tower. Now the only thing that I need to conquer (besides Slingshot and Ripcord) is Windseeker, but I'll just force myself to get on it like I did with those 3 mentioned above, and I might like it.
By Edwardo
RRRAPIDS wrote:The extended season will help for sure. I think with whatever 2019 brings especially if it's a coaster, it's going to sell. Also, Charlotte area is growing period. Just look at the traffic. We have some of the worst. Also many people that have moved here have not been to Carowinds yet. You will be surprised. With Carowinds being off of a major Interstate, there should be more advertisement leading up to the park. More of those historic (Brown signs) like Kings Dominion and some Six Flags parks have on interstates.

People that are going to go to Carowinds are aware of it. People don’t drive by, see a sign, and go “Oh! Let’s stop and drop a couple hundred on the family for an hour”. Otherwise the park is visible for people driving by that may want to stop later.

Also, dang. I didn’t realize there’s an ignore function on this board. Why didn’t this come up before?!
By CCookieMonster
Edwardo wrote:
RRRAPIDS wrote:The extended season will help for sure. I think with whatever 2019 brings especially if it's a coaster, it's going to sell. Also, Charlotte area is growing period. Just look at the traffic. We have some of the worst. Also many people that have moved here have not been to Carowinds yet. You will be surprised. With Carowinds being off of a major Interstate, there should be more advertisement leading up to the park. More of those historic (Brown signs) like Kings Dominion and some Six Flags parks have on interstates.

People that are going to go to Carowinds are aware of it. People don’t drive by, see a sign, and go “Oh! Let’s stop and drop a couple hundred on the family for an hour”. Otherwise the park is visible for people driving by that may want to stop later.

Also, dang. I didn’t realize there’s an ignore function on this board. Why didn’t this come up before?!

TBH I agree with both of y'all. I think Carowinds does need some more advertising down the interstate, but Carowinds tickets are like $50 and most people don't have enough money to say "Okay, we'll pay $200! For me, my wife, and my two teens!" But for those driving to maybe Atlanta (they're driving southward), my decide to come back and try Carowinds. Hey, when I went to Atlanta a few years ago, there was a charlottesgotalot.com billboard.
By RRRAPIDS
Edwardo wrote:

Honestly, people in the area especially with season passes know of the park. Sure, we should know. But, you have no idea on what people may do or think. I'm not saying they may stop what they are doing and may come to the park. They will gain knowledge of a park they have never seen or heard of. Moreover, people may vary well stop back in the area later on in the year; or weeks down the road. Either way, the marketing/ advertising needs to be boosted up. People still read and make decisions off of comprehension. It will help regardless in the long run.
By Edwardo
You honestly think a company like Cedar Fair doesn’t know how much they need to market? You’re thinking like an enthusiast. The people that are going to be interested in the park are going to know about it.

Carowinds is a regional park. That’s basically what the company says in the interview about the hotel. If they honestly thought they needed to market it more, they would.
By RRRAPIDS
You missed it, but it's ok. The GP is all that matters anyway. The signs/billboard will help someone on the interstate in the long run. Its something minor. It's doesn't necessarily mean it's pertaining to any enthusiast, season pass holder, or once a year general public visitor; that already knows of the park.
Last edited by RRRAPIDS on February 23rd, 2018, 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Edwardo
Obviously if the park thought extra advertising was worth the return on investment they’d do it. They’re already advertising and their attendance is raising. Seems to me that they know what they’re doing better than people on Carowinds connection...